A hobby site created by enthusiasts of 
British wrestling celebrating wrestling and 
wrestlers from 1930 onwards through 
fifty glorious years of British wrestling history

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Champion Belt

Ruslan Pashayev

Dear Friends,

I am trying to find info on the Champion Belt which was held by following individulas:

Ray Glendenning, Jimmy Devlin, Johnny Allan Farmer, Jack Taylor, Tony Cortez, Peter Smith and most likely many other wrestlers.

According to memories of some champions the belt was known as Don Robinson Belt.

I would highly appreciate any info on that subject. Thanks.Kind regards, Ruslan

November 7, 2017 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

It might help to see the belts Ruslan is referring to.

Farmer Johnny Allan

Jack Taylor

Jimmy Devlin

Ray Glendenning

Tony Cortez

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

November 9, 2017 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Great post, Hack.

I hope Ruslan appreciates the lengths you have gone to in response to his first comments?

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

November 9, 2017 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

I think they could be either European or World (European version) belts.  Jack Taylor held both European and World (European version) Welterweight belts in the 70's, and the picture of Tony Cortez, above, says he is the European Lightweight Champion. 

November 9, 2017 at 5:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

I really rated Ray Thunder Glendenning but had no idea he had ever sported a Belt

Digging deep into the archive I found a bill to confirm it but the question is who supplied such a mixture of wrestlers.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

November 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

British junior heavyweight champion. That's a new one.

All the photos seem to be from a time when these fellas were working for the independents, so o widely acknowledged champions. Looks like the same belt but a big weight difference between Devlin/Cortez and Glendenning/Allan.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

November 10, 2017 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Hack. I think that at one time there was a mix-up between the British Midheavyweight class and the American Junior heavyweight class.

As we normally follow the States (on everything but time) I think that some promotions used the american version.

--

November 10, 2017 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Great stuff as always Ron. But who were Hill Billy Bert and The Hood? 

November 10, 2017 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Bernard Hughes at November 10, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Hi Hack. I think that at one time there was a mix-up between the British Midheavyweight class and the American Junior heavyweight class.

As we normally follow the States (on everything but time) I think that some promotions used the american version.

Although you're right Bernard, we had Tony Mancelli and Mike Marino as Junior Heavyweight Champion this advert from Ron is from 1968, much later. And it's on the independents; it was a label that meant nothing.

Hill Billy Bert was a fella called Bert Ellam who Eddie Rose has written about on a few occasions.

--

November 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

james morton at November 10, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Great stuff as always Ron. But who were Hill Billy Bert and The Hood? 

No idea who The Hood was.

A strange collection of wrestlers with Bartelli in there although I have often found him switching from Joint to Indy.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

November 11, 2017 at 3:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Thanks Hack

November 11, 2017 at 5:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

The Hood will have been one of the four in the tag!

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

November 11, 2017 at 10:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Anglo Italian at November 11, 2017 at 10:57 AM

The Hood will have been one of the four in the tag!

What a suspicious mind.

Probably right though.

--

November 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Jimmy Devlin says the belt was for the European lightweight championship. He didn't get to keep the belt; it was brought along for the photo to be taken by Don Robinson.

Tony Cortez is also European lightweight champion. I don't recall him working for Don Robinson or seeing him in the north. It would be useful to know where the photo on the cover of Ringsport was taken and who by. Is it the same belt or a similar one?

--

November 12, 2017 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Dear Hack, thanks so much for everything and appreciate your time and your help a lot !!! It means a lot to me ! It is one of my very favorite English title belts. One facebook friend of mine told me that: "This belt was made by Stoker Brooks nearly 60 year ago the emblem was from a piece of Victorian furniture". Unfortunately I dont have any good quality pics of that belt. But yeah its the same belt used by all those characters both mid heavies and lightweights. And yes I do think the right person to ask is the actual owner of the belt - Don Robinson.

November 16, 2017 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

I think what also can clarify the situation is the better quality picture of the belt's centre piece, it should have some inscriptions or engravings etc.

November 16, 2017 at 7:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

https://imgur.com/a/cmfWd

November 16, 2017 at 7:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Heres a better pic of Jack Taylor with that belt.

November 16, 2017 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.