A hobby site created by enthusiasts of 
British wrestling celebrating wrestling and 
wrestlers from 1930 onwards through 
fifty glorious years of British wrestling history

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Gori Ed Mangotich

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

He's our latest addition to Personality Parade. One of the stalwarts of Paul Lincoln bills, but already with loads of experience. Anyone have memories ?

http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/a-trans-atlantic-villain

--

www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk

November 5, 2017 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom H

I recall seeing Ed at Ilford Baths in two exciting matches against Frank Price.

--

Lightweight belt holder

Welterweight belt holder.

November 6, 2017 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I don't have the impression he had a very full-time final ten years and wrestled just sporadically for the independents.  The last time I saw him wrestler was in about 1974, still great value for money, a real old-style villain.  No gimmickry, just unsmilingly bad.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

November 6, 2017 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

Gori Ed Mangotich was a stalwart of Paul Lincoln promotions and I saw him regularly in the early to mid 1960's, usually at the Hackney Empire or Granada Brixton. He was a tough first rate "heel" confirming his status as his billing suggested as a "lumberjack". In solo contests he rarely managed to win, ofton being disqualified, but seemed to fare better in tag bouts.

Ed regularly partnered Lincoln's alter ego the good Doctor Death ,but the contest I remember him best was when he teamed up with fellow Canadian Lee "Flash" Edwards against two popular "blue eyes" Bob Kirkwood and Dennis Dean. Edwards was in the same league as  the peerless Alan Garfield in getting the crowd worked up, the famed strut as he entered the ring, always worked. In the end I believe good triumphed over bad, but Ed is fondly remembered.

--
November 13, 2017 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.