A hobby site created by enthusiasts of 
British wrestling celebrating wrestling and 
wrestlers from 1930 onwards through 
fifty glorious years of British wrestling history

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Sticky: Ask Paul Mitchell

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Powerlock some time ago suggested some of our wrestling heroes might like to be intereviewed by members submitting questions. Paul Mitchell was 

the first to volunteer

Send your questions to theriotsquad@hotmail.com with the heading "Ask Paul Mitchell"

Or you can add your questions to this thread.

We will then send your questions to Paul and he will select the ones to reply to.

--

www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk

July 23, 2017 at 4:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Hi Paul , tell us how the Broughton Rangers came about , Whose idea was it , how many times were you together , tell us about your partner , and what caused it to come to an end and when.

Tell us also what ended your time as a wrestler and also when you see a bill like below , can you ever remember any of that night.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

July 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell

Ron Historyo at July 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Hi Paul , tell us how the Broughton Rangers came about , Whose idea was it , how many times were you together , tell us about your partner , and what caused it to come to an end and when.

Tell us also what ended your time as a wrestler and also when you see a bill like below , can you ever remember any of that night.

July 26, 2017 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Post disappeared
July 27, 2017 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

There's no need to reply Paul. We will collate all questions received and send them to you for you to answer the ones you wish.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

July 27, 2017 at 9:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
No problem ,I responded to Ron's post but disappeared, didnt want him to think I'd ignored his questions .
July 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

paul mitchell at July 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM

No problem ,I responded to Ron's post but disappeared, didnt want him to think I'd ignored his questions .

I too have had these problems of making a post and then there is nothing.

After posting you have ten minutes to delete your post.

I did it three times before it decided to have what I gave it.

Shame we have to check everything we post.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

July 27, 2017 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

Paul,Did you ever invisage when you stepped in the ring with Frank Dhondt in 1973 that the fight would still be viewed nearly 45 years later? 

September 7, 2017 at 5:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Peter in all honesty didn't think it be viwed ,a because didn't think we'd have the advance in technology ie the net b Not a great bout for several reasons . always grateful and humbled that people still view it .
September 9, 2017 at 6:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Hello Paul, did you get the email we sent you with members' questions? If not please email us at theriotsquad@hotmail.com

Email your answers to us and we will feature them on Heritage. Thanks.

We kick off in a couple of weeks with Ask Tony Scarlo.

--

September 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

paul mitchell at September 9, 2017 at 6:38 AM

Peter in all honesty didn't think it be viwed ,a because didn't think we'd have the advance in technology ie the net b Not a great bout for several reasons . always grateful and humbled that people still view it .

sTILL far better with a higher standard of wrestling than many bouts today

September 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Paul, did you visit many countries as a wrestler, if so, which did you enjoy, any you didn't like, any where the local wrestlers were great to work with, or not so great. 

September 12, 2017 at 8:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell

The Riot Squad at September 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Hello Paul, did you get the email we sent you with members' questions? If not please email us at theriotsquad@hotmail.com

Hi don't think so but I'll go into spam to check
September 13, 2017 at 6:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Hi Saxon wolf, I didn't travel as much as many of the lads however short tours in Europe favourite being France ,mostly nice guys as over here ,but the less talented tended have most attitude ,found most of Paris based lads very similar to Manchester lads , julieb notice very underated .still in contact with Charles verhurst great character. Spain was fun Latin tempers outdoor arenas rubbish money . jacobo was far better than wrestler than his appearance here showed.mist interesting intro "abroad" was I think in Margate when introduced as your local boy,is there a Salford in Kent.
September 13, 2017 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

paul mitchell at September 13, 2017 at 6:18 AM

The Riot Squad at September 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Hi don't think so but I'll go into spam to check
We've resent the email Paul. If you've still not received it please email us so we know we have the right address.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

September 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

paul mitchell at September 13, 2017 at 6:25 AM

Hi Saxon wolf, I didn't travel as much as many of the lads however short tours in Europe favourite being France ,mostly nice guys as over here ,but the less talented tended have most attitude ,found most of Paris based lads very similar to Manchester lads , julieb notice very underated .still in contact with Charles verhurst great character. Spain was fun Latin tempers outdoor arenas rubbish money . jacobo was far better than wrestler than his appearance here showed.mist interesting intro "abroad" was I think in Margate when introduced as your local boy,is there a Salford in Kent.

Thanks Paul, great stuff.

September 13, 2017 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I don't like to dwell on the negatives but you say your 1973 bout wasn't great "for a number of reasons."  The first time you'd wrestled your opponent, I imagine?  Always better after a few trial runs (ask Dave Shade & Catweazle!)  Certainly you seem to be leading the way in that bout, and trying to sell your opponent well.  Was that the brief?  He looked a little lost in the British setting - hard work all round.  I just wonder if I am close to your own analysis?  And of course I echo wholeheartedly what Peter said above that in spite of your perfectionism, the bout stands up admirably to the test of time.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

September 18, 2017 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

One more question following on from Saxonwolf's lead:  how did you get the gigs in France and Spain - or even Margate?

Thanks for sharing.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

September 18, 2017 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner
Hello Paul. We have about a dozen more questions for you that we would like to put into an article. Please send an email to theriotsquad@hotmail.com so we can make sure we send them to the right email address. We have sent them twice so it might be worth checking your spam box.
--

September 21, 2017 at 1:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Hello Paul, here are some more questions for you

• Did you watch the wrestling when young? How did you get involved in wrestling Paul? Tell us about your amateur background and readiness for the professional ring.
  • What was the reaction of your family when you said you wanted to be a wrestler?
  • Do you remember your first professional match? Who was the opponent? How did you feel as you got into the ring that first time? Did you know what to expect?
  • What was your work outside of wrestling?
  • What were your ambitions as a wrestler? Did you have any disappointments?
  • Do you have any regrets? Were there any times you thought this just isn't worth it.
  • Who were the wrestlers you most admired?
  • Tell us about the night of a typical match. What time would you arrive? What would you do before and after the match?
  • What about the travelling? Did you usually travel alone or in a group? Any memories of your travels.
  • Was there much difference working for the various promoters? Who would you say was the best promoter to work for?
  • When did your career end? And why?
  • Do you have any involvement with wrestling or wrestlers these days?
  • Do you think there's any chance of a revival of traditional British wrestling?
  • Tell us something about yourelf that you don't think any Wrestling Heritage fans will know.

--

October 4, 2017 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.