WRESTLING HERITAGE

A hobby site created by enthusiasts of 
British wrestling celebrating wrestling and 
wrestlers from 1930 onwards through 
fifty glorious years of British wrestling history

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Wrestling on a Sunday

Dave Sutherland

Back in the Golden Age of UK wrestling Sunday was definitely the most sombre day of the week with the majority of shops closed all day, pubs on limited opening hours, cinemas only opening at night time and even as kids we weren’t allowed to play football. Sport on a Sunday was a rarity with the exception of a friendly or benefit cricket match taking place in the summer. So how about wrestling? Do any of us have any memories of venues that featured regular Sunday promotions?

--

Wrestling Heritage Walton Award

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award

June 15, 2017 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Dave Sutherland at June 15, 2017 at 8:31 AM

Back in the Golden Age of UK wrestling Sunday was definitely the most sombre day of the week with the majority of shops closed all day, pubs on limited opening hours, cinemas only opening at night time and even as kids we weren’t allowed to play football. Sport on a Sunday was a rarity with the exception of a friendly or benefit cricket match taking place in the summer. So how about wrestling? Do any of us have any memories of venues that featured regular Sunday promotions?

Am I dreaming or was Blackpool Tower on a Sunday. Hack will remember.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

June 15, 2017 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Mick McManus didn't wrestle on Sundays.  Not sure that it was on religious grounds, though, more likely because there were very few wrestling shows!

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

June 15, 2017 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Blackpool Tower had wrestling on Sundays, as did the Central Pier and Cyril Knowles shows at the Ice Drome.

There were also shows in Dudley, starting at 12 noon on Sundays.

Dave is largely right, of course, and in the Years of Wrestling series during the 1930s we have noted quite a few promoters for breaking the Sunday observance laws.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

June 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
I would think a few more of the seaside towns held shows during the tourist season but I wonder where?
June 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

powerlock at June 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM

I would think a few more of the seaside towns held shows during the tourist season but I wonder where?

Bridlington...Spa.

June 16, 2017 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Bill Smith at June 16, 2017 at 6:25 AM

powerlock at June 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Bridlington...Spa.

Thanks Bill, I thought Blackpool wouldn't be the only seaside town, I reckon there will be a few more too
June 16, 2017 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

This a big difference between "the Golden Era"and today when most shows for the biggest promoters are clustered around the weekend with far fewer shows between Monday and Thursday

October 21, 2017 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

PETER at October 21, 2017 at 7:03 AM

This a big difference between "the Golden Era"and today when most shows for the biggest promoters are clustered around the weekend with far fewer shows between Monday and Thursday

I would put that down to most wrestlers working on the 'day' job through the week
October 21, 2017 at 1:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Maybe Powerlock (you always talk sense). But in the old days most of the wrestlers had "day" jobs. They'd pack up, drive a couple of hours and get in the ring some time after half past seven.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

October 21, 2017 at 5:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul kaye

I think i have a poster for Great Yarmouth on a Sunday. Top of the bill was Jim Breaks versus Danny Collins, not sure of the year though.

Paul Kaye

Middleweight Championship,Pallo Senior and Junior Belt Holder 

October 23, 2017 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Hack at October 21, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Maybe Powerlock (you always talk sense). But in the old days most of the wrestlers had "day" jobs. They'd pack up, drive a couple of hours and get in the ring some time after half past seven.

A lot of promotions now have shows starting 6.30-7.pm also with working hours being more flexible it rules out a lot of wrestlers from midweek shows. Mind you Hack I don't know about always talking sense!
October 23, 2017 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

In the 1960's/1970's there were more full time Professional Wrestlers than these days

October 28, 2017 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

PETER at October 28, 2017 at 8:44 AM

In the 1960's/1970's there were more full time Professional Wrestlers than these days

That's almost certainly true. Yet it's also true that most wrestlers in the 1960s had second jobs.
--

October 29, 2017 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andy

Yes Great Yarmouth Hippodrome was a Sunday night summer venue. Saw plenty of great matches there with the top stars of the era - Daddy, Jones, Rocco, Haystacks, Kendo, Finlay, Collins etc  Great times!

November 3, 2017 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I seem to remember that some of the big tourist towns had excemptions from some of the Sunday trading laws; certainly Woolworths was open on Sunday in Blackpool. Maybe the same applied to entertainment laws.

--

November 12, 2017 at 4:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Remember orig Williams promoting on Sundays in Llandudno late 1970s, both Eric & Steve Taylor wrestled on the bill i saw live, and the mighty change V les kellett was top of the bill.. Ended in a DQ win for the mighty chang.
November 16, 2017 at 9:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.