WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Wrestling in Hartlepool

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Wrestling Hartlepool goes back to the early 1930s. Ron Historyo has been doing the research and it's a fascinating story he is telling in Hartlepool Grappling.

Has anyone memories of going to the wrestling in Harlepool?

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

December 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve Casey

Hartlepool was my first pro bout for Orig Williams circa 1981.

I was in the process of setting up the ring and Orig was in the viewing balcony....he asked me if I could go over the top rope....I did..and he said that's the finish tonight..and so it was.

My dad was on the same bill (Wild Angus) (Frank Hoy) my dad and Orig both had a go at me for my performance, apparently I was more interested in how I looked for ever adjusting my trunks, socks, hair etc...I blame it on nerves...quite an experience.

I hope all have had a great festive time....take care.

--

Steve Casey.

December 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Great to hear from you. Hopefully you'll share more of your memories with us. Your dad was my favourite fifty years ago. Have you seen our Wild Angus site? When we were planning Wrestling Heritage back in 2006 this is the website we set up to work out how to do it.

We're still working it out.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

December 28, 2014 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

More from Ron in part 2

--

December 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron. The Queen's Rink Ballroom was still open in 1956 ,because I went dancing(?) there.

--

December 29, 2014 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Just think Bernard you could have enjoyed extra wrestling.

Some familiar names coming in part 2 

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

December 29, 2014 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Do you know when wrestling finished in Hartlepool?

The nearest stadium operating in 1955-6,I thought was Farrer Street Middlesbrough.

--

December 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

You need some local knowledge. not sure but definately still going in summer 1954 at the Engineers Club grounds.

Would have thought if there was money to be made it would have just kept going even at another venue.

--

HISTORYO

December 29, 2014 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Bernard Hughes at December 29, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Hi Ron. The Queen's Rink Ballroom was still open in 1956 ,because I went dancing(?) there.

I just could not resist this Bernard. I bet you went out like Clark Gable , sharp parting in the hair and the old Brylcream.

Hot date on a Saturday night.

This was round about your time.

--

HISTORYO

December 29, 2014 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Part 2 of Hartlepool Grappling has now been launched.

--

December 29, 2014 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Sorry Ron, not my type, It wasn't the brylcream that attracted me!

Now back on thread, wrestling at Hartlepool-do you know when it finished please?

--

December 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Sorry Bernard, no idea when it finished. technically it hasn't , it's still going on today at the Hartlepool Belle Vue Community Sports centre. £8 to get in and plenty of it on youtube but not your type of wrestling.

Queens Rink pulled down in 1968

--

HISTORYO

December 29, 2014 at 4:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Its like a lot of venues in the North East now that get a wrestling show two or three times a year, the promotion that uses that venue primarily do social clubs, so you will be looking at attendances of up to 200-250, and thats if they are doiing well.

The main venue in the Teeside area tended to be Middlesbrough Town Hall which was ran by Joint Promotions or a branch of it (Morrel, Wryton etc). I know the Dolphin Centre in Darlington was being used in the 1990s by the Crabtrees but don't know if any other venues were used in that area before that, but I would imagine the only venue of any capacity would have been the Darlington Hippodrome ( now the Darlington Civic Theatre). I can only surmise that a lot of the Teeside area had independently promoted shows

December 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I Pringle heavy middleweight champion

Hi Bernard, Wrestling was on at the Borough Hall inthe 1960s. I have a few handbills somewhere in the attic.

Regards, Ian P.

--

December 30, 2014 at 4:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Thanks all.

Powerlock, there were shows at some time at Durham ice rink, Whitley Bay and Tynemouth that I have seen mentioned on here,

I am sure that  the contributor's name was a wrestler called Dennis Lord.

--

December 30, 2014 at 5:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Powerlock, in the 50's the wrestling in Middlesbrough was at Farrer street just behind the railway station.

I went there quite a lot ,on Saturday nights in 1955-6.

The Town Hall venue came later but I don't know when the switch came. 

Is there anyone local that knows what happened to Farrer Street stadium? Is it still there? unlikely I think.

--

December 30, 2014 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Hello Bernard,

I believe the Town Hall was in use in the 1970's and maybe before, another venue on Teeside that has held wrestling in the past till quite recently was Billingham Forum.

I wonder if the Farrer Street venue closed around the same time as St James Hall. I know that Dennis Lord  and Don Robinson promoted throughout the North East.

One place we didn't mention was South Shields I believe wrestling was held at either the ABC or Odeon cinema on Ocean Road, I also attended a show at either Londonderry Hall or Bollinbrooke Hall when I was a nipper, it was definitely an Independent show but don't know who promoted it. I have also been told wrestling was held at Wallsend Memorial Hall but have cannot find anything, but I am sure if there was, someone will come up with the evidence.

We never hear too much about Gateshead and Sunderland holding regular wrestling shows in the past, have you came up with anything Ron?

December 30, 2014 at 7:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Nothing much on Gateshead or Sunderland but of course newspapers are being filmed all the time so there is a chance yet to unearth some history.

We need a Heritage fan in every town.

--

HISTORYO

December 30, 2014 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

powerlock at December 30, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Hello Bernard,

I believe the Town Hall was in use in the 1970's and maybe before, another venue on Teeside that has held wrestling in the past till quite recently was Billingham Forum.

I wonder if the Farrer Street venue closed around the same time as St James Hall. I know that Dennis Lord  and Don Robinson promoted throughout the North East.

One place we didn't mention was South Shields I believe wrestling was held at either the ABC or Odeon cinema on Ocean Road, I also attended a show at either Londonderry Hall or Bollinbrooke Hall when I was a nipper, it was definitely an Independent show but don't know who promoted it. I have also been told wrestling was held at Wallsend Memorial Hall but have cannot find anything, but I am sure if there was, someone will come up with the evidence.

We never hear too much about Gateshead and Sunderland holding regular wrestling shows in the past, have you came up with anything Ron?

According to a Newspaper Report the very first wrestling in Sunderland was on 10th March 1933 at The Theatre Royal.

The bill was , with results.

Atholl Oakeley beat Dave Armstrong (substitute for White owl)

Wild Boar Wilkie (Sunderland) beat Gino the Gypsy (Newcastle)

Izzy Goulden (Leeds) beat Sid croxon (Gateshead)

Dick devlin (Gateshead) beat Lightning Strand (Jarrow)

With a bit of luck that is a new one for Ray Plunkett

Also 6th Oct 1933 at the British Legion Huts in Hylton, Sunderland, Wild Boar Wilkie,of Sunderland fought Mosey Lawson of Shields..Draw

--

HISTORYO

December 31, 2014 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

I think it will be a new one for Ray, I know he said he didn't have and or many results  from Sunderland, the Theatre Royal became the Royal Stadium at a later date and primarily promoted boxing and wrestling at the venue

December 31, 2014 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.